As a Saboteur, he is a Jack-of-All-Trades and is able to do many jobs with average proficiency although he is exceptional at battling.
Peak Human Conditioning: As a result of being trained as a saboteur from a young age, Tooru is extremely fit, having above average strength, speed, instincts, reflexes and stamina. Despite not working for a long period of time, he is able to fight against a feila unicorn and return to fighting with almost no problem. Even when injured, he is still able to fight effectively for a long period of time.
- Acrobatics: Tooru is able to perform high-level acrobatics which he incorporates into his fighting style, allowing him to dodge and attack enemies from a wide variety of angles. He is also able to use it to sneak into enemy compounds through ways most other people are unable to.
- Iron Blood Transformation: A saboteur technique, activated by extreme mental concentration, that optimizes and redefines the user’s entire body systems. This allows Tooru to perform inhuman physical feats, such as repelling a feila unicorn or jumping several meters into the air. The transformation also substantially improves his combat skills and techniques, allowing him to fight against high-level opponents. A drawback to using the Iron Blood Transformation is that the technique requires a huge amount of energy. When Tooru transforms for the first time in a very long time, he needed a huge amount of food to restore himself or risk fainting. Another drawback is that it makes him more susceptible to poison, as the technique improves his respiratory system which would increase the flow of any poison inside him. In the anime, his hair turns red and two crimson streaks cross over his face while emitting a red aura during the transformation.
- Swordsmanship: Tooru is a very skilled swordsman, able to fight on par with Alberic Gillette and defeat Nikolay Autotor, two highly skilled swordsmen. His main swords are his dual short sword com-blades which he is able to use very proficiently.
- Strategic Planning: An adept strategic planner, Tooru’s ability to strategize before or during a battle has helped him defeat much stronger enemies. Tooru’s keen sense and observation allow him to analyse an opponent and determine the best strategy to fight them. In his battle against Roberto Abarth, despite the disadvantage against magic, Tooru was able to calmly set traps against him and determine his weakness that eventually allowed him to win. He was also able to figure out Fredrica’s impersonation of Dominica Skoda, which allowed him to create strategies by using poison against her.
- Stealth & Reconnaissance: As part of being a saboteur, Tooru is highly skilled in stealth and reconnaissance. Able to infiltrate enemy forts and sneak past guards with ease, this allows him to fulfil stealth missions without being detected. He is also highly efficient in information gathering, scouting enemy locations to find weak points or conversing with locals to gather knowledge without drawing too much attention to himself.
- Dual Short Sword Comblades: Tooru’s main weapon, two swords that have crests on them that when matched to the crests on his hands, links them to him allowing him to feel through them as if they were extensions of his body. At the hilts of his weapons, there is a trigger that allows him to shoot out the blades that are connected by metal wires for a longer reach and also retract them as well.
- Throwing Knives: A number of small throwing knives Tooru usually uses to attack from a distance.
- Cleaver: In the beginning of the series, Tooru temporarily used a small cleaver with a point jutting out at the top. In the manga, the handles were also wrapped.
As a child, Tooru had a very cheerful and outgoing personality despite being an orphan, even playing perverted pranks and laughing off a beating. But more notable about him was his eagerness to join the war and kill «heaps of people.» This stemmed from his desire to «leave proof that he lived» by going to battle. If anyone questioned or denied that belief, he became visibly irritated. Despite this, he became good friends with Jasmine, a daughter of the leader of a group of traveling merchants, and was devastated by her unfortunate death, but does eventually come to accept it. However, witnessing her final moments and the unfair reality as a result of it further fueled his desire to go to war to leave his mark even more.
At the beginning of the series, Tooru became very lazy as all he did every day was sleep and eat. Despite being a saboteur, the end of the war had robbed him of his purpose in life. Seeing that there was no more point to his existence, he continually refused to work, often saying «I’ll lose if I work.» However, his meeting with Chaika renewed his determination and resolve. As a result, he holds a deep respect and affection for her. Even when he finds out she is the daughter of the deceased Emperor Gaz and her actions could bring about war, he remains loyal and comments that he was okay with war. Although he desires war, he is not incredibly bloodthirsty, but rather wants to help Chaika fulfil her goal as his purpose in life. He refused to kill Fredrika as he sympathised with her loss of purpose and encouraged her to find a new one. When given the chance to defect to Chaika Bogdan, which would have given him more opportunities to fight, he rejected the offer because he would rather fight for «someone who needed him more.»
Currently, Tooru’s rejuvenated state of mind has made him more serious and mature. He is determined to fulfill his goals, using whatever means necessary if the situation requires it. As such, he is usually stern and cautious, which sometimes puts him at odds with his companions lax nature. But overall, he gets along well with people.