Urbanest vauxhall

GUEST REVIEWS

F

Family with childrenfrom United States2020

5.4

Holiday Inn Express Inverness

staff at the reception was very busy and roughly ok. questions nsvh restaurants were gladly answered.

+ read more- Less

L

Lindafrom United States2020

10.0

Hilton Garden Inn Palm Coast Town Center

Everything was exceptional as well as the large nice pool that we got to enjoy.The hotel was centrally located with exceptional cleanliness and safe distancing observed.

+ read more- Less

C

Couplefrom United States2020

9.0

Hawthorne Hotel

Bella Verona is just walking distance from the hotel. Great location, 30 minutes’ drive from Logan airport.

+ read more- Less

C

Couplefrom United States2020

10.0

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa Northwest/Oldsmar

The staff were welcoming every time you dealt with them. Hotel was centrally located and had affordable rates.

+ read more- Less

L

Lindafrom United States2020

45.0

Burleigh Break

Great place to stay with your pet. Linton the manager a lovely man — hung out my washing, brought it in and folded it!

+ read more- Less

C

Couplefrom United States2020

10.0

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

We appreciated everything about it, all service and food. Wi-Fi and satisfying breakfast.

+ read more- Less

F

Family with childrenfrom United States2020

7.0

Village Hotel Edinburgh

Welcome base for a trip in Edinburgh! Western General Hospital near the hotel.

+ read more- Less

C

Couplefrom United States2020

10.0

Mandarin Oriental New York

We went to see Broadway and Times Square nearby. Easy base for trip in New York.

+ read more- Less

F

Family with childrenfrom United States2020

7.4

Ea Hotel Jasmin

The price-performance ratio was great and 25€ per night per person with breakfast are perfect for a cheap city trip. The breakfast was completely sufficient, there were various sausages and cheese products, baked goods, scrambled eggs etc.

+ read more- Less

G

Group of friendsfrom United States2020

8.0

The Crystal Span

In 1963 the Glass Age Development Committee commissioned a design for a replacement bridge at Vauxhall, inspired by the design of the Crystal Palace, to be called the Crystal Span. The Crystal Span was to have been a seven-story building supported by two piers in the river, overhanging the river banks at either end. The structure itself would have been enclosed in an air conditioned glass shell. The lowest floor would have contained two three-lane carriageways for vehicles, with a layer of shops and a skating rink in the centre of the upper floors. The southern end of the upper floors was to house a luxury hotel, whilst the northern end was to house the modern art collection of the nearby Tate Gallery, which at this time was suffering from a severe shortage of display space. The roof was to have housed a series of roof gardens, observation platforms and courtyards, surrounding a large open-air theatre. The entire structure would have been 970 feet (300 m) long and 127 feet (39 m) wide. Despite much public interest in the proposals, the London County Council was reluctant to pay the estimated £7 million (£148 million in 2020) construction costs, and the scheme was abandoned.

Recent history

In 1993, a remnant of the earliest known bridge-like structure in London was discovered alongside Vauxhall Bridge, when shifting currents washed away a layer of silt which had covered it. Dating to between 1550 BC and 300 BC, it consists of two rows of wooden posts, which it is believed would originally have carried a deck of some kind. It is believed that it did not cross the whole river, but instead connected the south bank to an island, possibly used for burial of the dead. As no mention of this or similar structures in the area is made in Julius Caesar’s account of crossing the Thames nor by any other Roman author, it is presumed that the structure had been dismantled or destroyed prior to Caesar’s expedition to Britain in 55 BC. The posts are still visible at extreme low tides.

2009 view of Vauxhall Bridge, from upstream on the south bank

Following the closure of a number of the area’s industries, in the 1970s and 1980s the land at the southern end of Vauxhall Bridge remained empty, following the failures of multiple redevelopment schemes. The most notable came in 1979 when Keith Wickenden MP, owner of the land at the immediate southern end of the bridge, proposed a large-scale redevelopment of the site. The development was to contain 300,000 square feet (28,000 m2) of office space, 100 luxury flats and a gallery to house the Tate Gallery’s modern art collection. The offices were to be housed in a 500-foot (150 m) tower of green glass, which was nicknamed the «Green Giant» and met with much opposition. The then Secretary of State for the Environment, Michael Heseltine, refused permission for the development and the site remained empty.

The SIS Building now dominates the southern end of the bridge

In 1988 Regalian Properties purchased the site, and appointed Terry Farrell as architect. Farrell designed a self-contained community of shops, housing, offices and public spaces for the site. Regalian disliked the proposals and requested Farrell design a single large office block. Despite containing 50% more office space than the rejected Green Giant proposal, the design was accepted. The government then bought the site and design as a future headquarters for the Secret Intelligence Service, and the design was accordingly modified to increase security. In 1995 the SIS Building was opened on the site, and today dominates other buildings in the vicinity of the bridge.

A slipway on the south bank is used by amphibious buses

In 2004 the Vauxhall Cross area at the southern end of the bridge was redeveloped as a major transport interchange, combining a large bus station with the existing National Rail and London Underground stations at Vauxhall. Immediately to the east of the southern end of the bridge, a slipway provides access for amphibious buses between the road and river.

The only significant alteration to the structure of the bridge itself since the addition of the sculptures in 1907 came in 1973, when the Greater London Council (GLC) decided to add an extra traffic lane by reducing the width of the pavements. To counter the increased load of extra traffic, the council announced the replacement of the cast-iron balustrades with low box-girder structures. Despite formal objections from both Lambeth and Westminster Councils, the GLC ignored the objections. In 2015, the extra lane of motor traffic was removed in favour of a kerb-protected two-way cycle track, on the north-east side of the bridge. This forms part of Cycle Superhighway 5.

The bridge was declared a Grade II* listed structure in 2008, providing protection to preserve its character from alteration.

Better Student Living in Vauxhall for 2020/2021

Brand new for September 2018, urbanest Vauxhall is situated at the centre of Nine Elms – central London’s newest, most exciting riverside quarter on the south bank of the River Thames. Already one of the most vibrant areas of zone 1, Vauxhall is set to become an even more dynamic, social and cultural hub with the arrival of the new American Embassy, the completion of the iconic Battersea Power Station and its numerous parks and riverside walks.

Our state-of-the-art property is ideally located within walking distance of the Houses of Parliament, Sloane Square, Tate Britain and The Oval cricket ground, and with major rail, underground and bus stations on the doorstep, students can enjoy fast and frequent access to all that London has to offer.

Designed for You

Accommodation at urbanest is split between a range of modern, high specification studio apartments and also apartments that offer a sociable yet secure student life with either en-suite or private rooms to suit your budget.

Whichever accommodation you prefer for 2020/2021, all of our rooms have super comfortable beds with a high-quality memory foam mattress to give you a great night’s sleep and every room has luxurious underfloor heating which is controlled by an individual thermostat in your room to keep you warm during the winter months. Super-fast broadband keeps you connected and the entire building (including all study and social areas) benefits from free Wi-Fi.

Every student benefits from a spacious, fitted study desk, plenty of storage for clothes, shoes and books and, depending on the room you choose, either a private or a shared kitchen with first class appliances. And thanks to urbanest Vauxhall’s fantastic position on the south bank of the Thames, just south of Vauxhall Bridge, many of the rooms offer incredible views of central London and far and wide across South East England.

urbanest also offers residents a range of facilities and features to make your stay in London as practical and comfortable as possible. Group and private study areas are available for all to use and a spectacular 31st floor common room is available to all residents. This amazing ‘common room in the clouds’ is the perfect place to relax and watch TV or meet up with friends and enjoy a film on the cinema screen or to just take in the stunning views of London. It also acts as an exciting venue for the parties, talks and other regular resident events arranged by the dedicated on-site urbanest team.

The building also benefits from a bicycle storage facility where we keep fold-up bikes, which are for the sole use of residents at anytime to get around town – completely free of charge.

All the other facilities you would expect from a high-quality apartment building are offered including modern, clean and efficient laundry rooms. The property also benefits from an enormous Sainsbury’s Superstore just across the road to cater for all your grocery, home furnishing and accessory needs.

COVID-19 Secure

Ensuring our Vauxhall accommodation is clean and hygienic is of the utmost importance given the current climate. We are doing everything we can to keep it safe for our residents. A number of safety procedures have been put in place, including:

  • Increased cleaning frequency in all properties.
  • Installation of hand sanitiser stations at all high traffic touchpoints within properties including reception, lift lobbies and high use communal doors.
  • Decontamination qualified cleaning operatives on-site 7 days a week to manage any potential positive COVID-19 infections.
  • Enhanced cleaning products with higher concentration viricidal disinfectants to ensure all surfaces are kept Coronavirus free.

To learn more about how we’re committed to supporting our residents during this time, please read our Coronavirus FAQ

Millbank Bridge

During the Second World War the government was concerned that Axis bombers would target the bridge, and a temporary bridge known as Millbank Bridge was built parallel to Vauxhall Bridge, 200 yards (180 m) downstream. Millbank Bridge was built of steel girders supported by wooden stakes; however, despite its flimsy appearance it was a sturdy structure, capable of supporting tanks and other heavy military equipment. In the event, Vauxhall Bridge survived the war undamaged, and in 1948 Millbank Bridge was dismantled. Its girders were shipped to Northern Rhodesia and used to span a tributary of the Zambezi.

Background

In the early 13th century, Anglo-Norman mercenary Falkes de Breauté built a manor house in the then empty marshlands of South Lambeth, across the River Thames from Westminster. In 1223–24, de Breauté and others revolted against Henry III; following a failed attempt to seize the Tower of London, de Breauté’s lands in England were forfeited and he was forced into exile in France and later Rome. The lands surrounding his Lambeth manor house continued to be known as Falkes’ Hall, later Vauxhall.

Westminster & Lambeth, 1746. Westminster Bridge, opened in 1740, connects Westminster to Lambeth; Huntley Ferry crosses the river on the site of the future Vauxhall Bridge.

With the exception of housing around the New Spring Gardens (later Vauxhall Gardens) pleasure park, opened in around 1661, the land at Vauxhall remained sparsely populated into the 19th century, with the nearest fixed river crossings being the bridges at Westminster, 1 mile (1.6 km) downstream, and Battersea, 2 miles (3.2 km) upstream. In 1806 a scheme was proposed by Ralph Dodd to open the south bank of the Thames for development, by building a new major road from Hyde Park Corner to Kennington and Greenwich, crossing the river upstream of the existing Westminster Bridge. The proprietors of Battersea Bridge, concerned about a potential loss of customers, petitioned Parliament against the scheme, stating that » is a well known adventurer and Speculist, and the projector of numerous undertakings upon a large scale most if not all of which have failed», and the bill was abandoned.

In 1809 a new bill was presented to Parliament, and the proprietors of Battersea Bridge agreed to allow it to pass and to accept compensation. The Bill incorporated the Vauxhall Bridge Company, allowing it to raise up to £300,000 (about £21.9 million in 2020) by means of mortgages or the sale of shares, and to keep all profits from any tolls raised. From these profits, the Vauxhall Bridge Company was obliged to compensate the proprietors of Battersea Bridge for any drop in revenue caused by the new bridge.

Notes and references

Notes

  1. The popular belief that the name derives from Guy Fawkes is based on a misconception; Fawkes’ co-conspirator Robert Catesby owned a house in Lambeth, but Fawkes had no connection with the area.
  2. Dodd had been involved in many unsuccessful transport schemes. Between 1799 and 1803 he attempted to drive a tunnel beneath the Thames between Tilbury and Gravesend. A plan to dig a canal between London and Epsom was abandoned after reaching Peckham, three miles away. He provided the original designs for the new Waterloo and London Bridges, both of which were taken over by John Rennie, while his design for Hammersmith Bridge had to be suspended when the owners of a strip of land blocking the approach road refused to sell it to the bridge company.
  3. In the 1990s sightseeing balloon flights from Vauxhall Gardens – by then renamed back to Spring Gardens – were resumed. The service closed in 2001 following the opening of the nearby London Eye.
  4. The River Tyburn also joins the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge, 200 yards (180 m) upstream of the bridge on the northern bank.

References

  1. , p. 316
  2. ^ , p. 80
  3. , p. 306
  4. , p. 745
  5. ^ , p. 144
  6. ^ , p. 120
  7. ^ UK Retail Price Index inflation figures are based on data from
  8. ^ , p. 145
  9. , p. 185
  10. ^ , p. 146
  11. ^ , p. 81
  12. , p. 138
  13. , p. 143
  14. ^ , p. 147
  15. ^ , p. 148
  16. ^ , p. 82
  17. , p. 149
  18. ^ , p. 150
  19. ^ , p. 83
  20. ^ , p. 108
  21. ^ , p. 176
  22. , p. 100
  23. , p. 175
  24. , p. 8
  25. ^

Bibliography

  • Carpenter, David (2003), The Struggle for Mastery, Oxford University Press US, ISBN 0-19-522000-5, OCLC 
  • Cookson, Brian (2006), Crossing the River, Edinburgh: Mainstream, ISBN 1-84018-976-2, OCLC 
  • De Maré, Eric (1954), Bridges of Britain (2nd (1975) ed.), London: Batsford, ISBN 0-7134-2925-9, OCLC 
  • Jeremiah, David (2000), Architecture and Design for the Family in Britain 1900–70, Manchester: Manchester University Press, ISBN 0-7190-5889-9, OCLC 
  • Matthews, Peter (2008), London’s Bridges, Oxford: Shire, ISBN 978-0-7478-0679-0, OCLC 
  • Murray, Peter; Stevens, Mary Anne; Cadman, David (1996), Living Bridges: the inhabited bridge, past, present and future, London: Royal Academy of Arts, ISBN 3-7913-1734-2, OCLC 
  • Skempton, Sir Alec, ed. (2002), Biographical Directory of Civil Engineers, 1, London: Thomas Telford, ISBN 0-7277-2939-X
  • Timbs, John (1855), Curiosities of London, London: David Bogue, OCLC 

New Vauxhall Bridge

Diverted outflow of the River Effra into the Thames, beneath Drury’s Science

Sir Alexander Binnie, the resident engineer of the London County Council (LCC), submitted a design for a steel bridge, which proved unpopular. At the request of the LCC, Binnie submitted a new design for a bridge of five spans, to be built in concrete and faced with granite.

Work on Binnie’s design began, but was beset by problems. Leading architects condemned the design, with Arthur Beresford Pite describing it as «a would-be Gothic architectural form of great vulgarity and stupid want of meaning», and T G Jackson describing the bridge designs as a sign of «the utter apparent indifference of those in authority to the matter of art». Plans to build large stone abutments had to be suspended when it was found that the southern abutment would block the River Effra, which by this time had been diverted underground to serve as a storm relief sewer and which flowed into the Thames at this point. The Effra had to be rerouted to join the Thames to the north of the bridge. After the construction of the foundations and piers it was then discovered that the clay of the riverbed at this point would not be able to support the weight of a concrete bridge. With the granite piers already in place, it was decided to build a steel superstructure onto the existing piers, and a superstructure 809 feet (247 m) long and 80 feet (24 m) wide was designed by Binnie and Maurice Fitzmaurice and built by LCC engineers at a cost of £437,000 (about £47,350,000 in 2020).

The new bridge was eventually opened on 26 May 1906, five years behind schedule, in a ceremony presided over by the Prince of Wales and Evan Spicer, Chairman of the LCC. Charles Wall, who had won the contract to build the superstructure of the new bridge, paid the LCC £50 for the temporary wooden bridge, comprising 40,000 cubic feet (1,100 m3) of timber and 580 tons of scrap metal.

Sculpture

Pomeroy’s Pottery

The new bridge was built to a starkly functional design, and many influential architects had complained about the lack of consultation from any architects during the design process by the engineers designing the new bridge. In 1903, during the construction of the bridge, the LCC consulted with architect William Edward Riley regarding possible decorative elements that could be added to the bridge. Riley proposed erecting two 60-foot (18 m) pylons topped with statues at one end of the bridge, and adding decorative sculpture to the bridge piers. The pylons were rejected on grounds of cost, but following further consultation with leading architect Richard Norman Shaw it was decided to erect monumental bronze statues above the piers, and Alfred Drury, George Frampton and Frederick Pomeroy were appointed to design appropriate statues.

Pomeroy’s Agriculture

Frampton resigned from the project through pressure of work, and Drury and Pomeroy carried out the project, each contributing four monumental statues, which were installed in late 1907. On the upstream piers are Pomeroy’s Agriculture, Architecture, Engineering and Pottery, whilst on the downstream piers are Drury’s Science, Fine Arts, Local Government and Education. Each statue weighs approximately two tons. Despite their size, the statues are little-noticed by users of the bridge as they are not visible from the bridge itself, but only from the river banks or from passing shipping.

Usage

The new bridge soon became a major transport artery and today carries the A202 and Cycle Superhighway 5 across the Thames. Originally built with tram tracks, New Vauxhall Bridge was the first in central London to carry trams. Initially it carried horse-drawn trams, but shortly after the bridge’s opening it was converted to carry the electric trams of London County Council Tramways; it continued to carry trams until the ending of tram services in 1951. In 1968 Vauxhall Bridge and Park Lane became the first roads in London to have bus lanes; during weekday evening rush hours, the central lane of the bridge was reserved for southbound buses only.

Фото и описание

Мост Воксхолл соединяет кварталы Воксхолл на южном берегу и Пимлико на северном. Хотя по обеим сторонам Темзы стоят современные здания, история переправы на этом месте уходит в глубь веков.

Археологические исследования показали, что ещё 3500 лет назад тут стоял большой дубовый мост. Потом стационарной переправы не было очень долго, местные жители пользовались паромом, а в 1816 году здешние берега соединил первый в Лондоне железный мост. Сначала его называли Риджент-бридж, но потом переименовали в Воксхолл. До 1879 года он был платным. Люди платили, чтобы попасть к железнодорожной станции «Девять вязов» (позже заброшенной) или к садам Воксхолл. (Есть теория, что от названия этих садов произошло русское слово «вокзал».)

Сады Воксхолл были очень популярны – там предлагалась масса развлечений, в том числе полёты на воздушном шаре. Стоя на мосту, толпы зевак глазели на поднимающийся шар. На этом же мосту в сентябре 1844 года собралось огромное количество людей, наблюдавших невиданное зрелище – клоун Мистер Барри из цирка «Амфитеатр Эстли» начинал плавание по Темзе в корыте, буксируемом двумя гусями.

Уже в конце XIX века причалы Воксхолл-бриджа оказались слишком изношенными. Проект нового пятиарочного стального моста, разработанный инженером сэром Александром Бинни, вызвал возмущение архитекторов. Они называли проект пошлым, слишком функциональным, предрекали, что иностранцы будут над ним глумиться, жалели, что с архитекторами не посоветовались.

Тем не менее, новый Воксхолл-бридж построили по этому проекту. Мосту действительно не хватало декоративных элементов, и было решено поставить над пирсами монументальные скульптуры. Восемь статуй работы Альфреда Друри и Фредерика Помроя символизируют сельское хозяйство, архитектуру, инженерию, керамику, науку, изобразительное искусство, местное самоуправление и образование. Выглядят они странновато. Мощные (каждая весит около двух тонн) бронзовые фигуры стоят над пирсами со стороны реки в обрамлениях, больше всего похожих на открытые гробы. Обрамления тёмно-красного цвета, постаменты под скульптурами синие. Вообще сооружение раскрашено очень ярко в красный, жёлтый, синий, оранжевый и белый цвета – пожалуй, это самый весёлый мост в Лондоне.

Воксхолл-бридж был первым в городе мостом с трамвайными путями, первым с выделенной автобусной полосой и чуть было не стал первым и единственным современным мостом с домами. В 1963 году рассматривался вариант строительства семиэтажной конструкции, по нижнему этажу которой ехали бы автомобили, наверху находились бы каток и висячие сады, а посередине – магазины, отель, галерея и театр. По причине дороговизны от заманчивого предложения отказались, и Воксхолл-бридж остался просто мостом.

Оцените статью
Добавить комментарий